Thursday, June 23, 2016

Shoulder Shrugs and Ruffled Hugs

One of my favorite summer trends is definitely the off-the-shoulders top (OTS)! I love how feminine and flirty they are! The shoulders are a very underrated part of the body. It's my personal fave for when I want to be sexy, but still maintain modesty. And adding ruffles just brings out the little girl in me!

Now, I am very picky about how my OTS top has to be constructed. I am a mommy, which requires me to reach up to get things that my Little can't, as well as, picking that (not-so) Little up when she turns "Princess Mode" on and can't be bothered with walking. With that being said, a shoulder-hugging top isn't exactly practical, plus I loathe fussy clothes. Envision the eternal strapless bra shimmy dance in reverse... So, I prefer to have my OTS top to have detached arms. Basically you end up with a tube top with "tube sleeves" attached to the sides. Me likey!

The key to mastering this look without looking like a) a clown, or b) an extra out of Gone with the Wind is to keep proportions in mind and make the top the stand-out piece. My top is cropped and has a ton of fluffy ruffles, so I opted for mid-rise, snug fitted jeans. I also pulled my hair up to showcase my shoulders a bit more. I added on a statement necklace, c/o StudsandSapphires, just to draw more attention to the neck area and because I love layering accessories, duh.


"I think women's shoulders are the most beautiful part of their body. You should always show them when you can!" -Rachel Zoe





THE DETAILS:
Blue and White striped OTS top: KnowStyle, similar at Zara // White flared leg jeans: F21 // White Strappy heels: Lolashoetique // Multilayer necklace: c/o StudsandSapphires // White Daisy earrings: F21 (similar

I love the look and I can't wait to switch it up a bit and wear the top on vacation with some shorts and gladiator sandals! How would you try out the OTS trend?


Thank you for stopping by!
       -B.

Photography by Pamela Patterson