Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Fancy Kitchen: Stir Fry

When one of your fiancé's favorite foods is Chinese style fried rice, and you've gotten bored of the only vegetables being served are green beans or an iceberg lettuce salad, you have to get a little creative in the kitchen and come up with something that can accommodate everyone's palate. I pulled a few things together from the pantry and came up with this fried rice/paella-ish entrée. It was easy to make and it was a great way for me to sneak in some vegetables (and fruit!).
 
 Here's what you'll need:
1 package of Ready Rice
about 5 oz of Tyson "Grilled & Ready" chicken strips
1 cup of Baby Spinach
2/3 a can of pineapple tidbits
1/2 cup baby carrots, chopped
1 large red bell pepper
1/4 white onion
1/4 red onion
4 tbsp. of Iron Chef's Orange Sauce glaze with Ginger
1 tsp of lemon juice
1/4 tsp of red pepper flake
1 tsp of garlic powder
 
Directions:
1.chop vegetables (it's best to try to make everything relatively the same size to ensure it will cook at the same rate.
2. spray large pan with olive oil cooking spray and sautee the rice and chicken strips.
3. once rice and chicken are warmed, add vegetables, with the lemon juice, and red pepper flake.
4. next, add pineapples and spinach (be sure they are last, as they do not need as much time to cook)
5. as soon as the spinach starts to slightly wilt, add the Ginger sauce and whatever seasonings you want to add.
 
Cook time: about 10 minutes
 
 

 

 This was quick, easy to make, and I didn't have to take another trip to the grocery store. My 14 month old daughter gobbled it right up (and I omitted the red pepper flake for her portion). My hubby liked it so much that I ended up making it again within a week. Yeah, once he likes something, he puts it in HEAVY rotation, lol! I changed up the rice to teriyaki, added some zucchini, and used orange juice instead of lemon the second time around, though. I wish I had gotten a better photo of the finished product, but that's what happens when you're so focused on shoving food in your face. But, I tried! I hope you guys find this recipe helpful if you're in a pinch. I promise you'll love it! If you give it a go, let me know!


Thanks for stopping by and reading!
xoxo,
    B.